The Head of Engineering will be responsible for the entire Engineering Department both site maintenance and projects.
Through the Engineering Manager via the engineering team you will plan and manage resource to enable the site to deliver its plans in a safe and effective manner. Through day-to-day management of the Engineering Manager you will ensure deliverables are completed on time, to budget and in agreement with business requirements. You will ensure that all engineering corrective actions are carried out in a timely manner and that visitors and contractors are managed correctly from an H&S perspective.
The role is responsible for the delivery of all engineering projects = revenue and capital. You will be responsible for end-to-end delivery of projects from inception through to completion whilst adhering to budget and timescales. The Project Engineer will be a key support in the delivery of this process.
A key element of the role will be liaising across all functions to ensure successful outcomes on a day-to-day and project basis.
You will be a Head Of function and be seen as an expert within your field. You will be required to truly lead the Engineering agenda for the business, looking ahead, to the future and to anticipate business needs. You will also be accountable for the delivery of projects and Capex projects on site.
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
– Strategic development of the engineering function and implementation of a pro-active strategy
– Development of maintenance management systems with a focus on asset maintenance
– Train and develop the engineering team to maximise effectiveness of plant and processes
– Root Cause Analysis and proposals to enhance engineering performance = focus on diagnostic skills
– Implement improvements and drive initiatives to ensure maximum effectiveness
– Capex project and contractor management
– Full management and accountability for all site services
– Build a positive engineering environment and be familiar with plant layout and equipment.
– Maintain safe production processes in respect of personal & food safety.
– Plan and oversee all aspects of routine engineering operations via the Engineering Manager and on all project matters via the Project Engineer.
– Ensure all projects are transferred fully to the maintenance and production teams
– Develop the team through SMART Objectives, review, PDP’s etc.
– Prepare work schedules and assign specific duties according to defined, visible, and controlled schedules
– Conduct formal (and informal) safety audits to ensure all manufacturing resources/equipment are in working order; document and report any problems
– Oversee preventative maintenance program for all manufacturing equipment
– Prepare budgets and forecasts for assigned activities in accordance with the budget
– Approve expenses up to agreed & authorized amounts
– Review performance against operating plans and standards. Effectively use KPI’s / results to justify changes in operational and strategic direction
– Review financial statements to measure productivity and to identify areas for process improvement, cost reduction and improved operational efficiency
– Develop plans for new applications, technologies and design alternatives that offer benefits to both the manufacturing and other site functions
– Deputise for and support the Operations Director in all aspects of the engineering function
– Operate as part of the site operations team facilitating good interdepartmental communications
– To help maintain the business food safety, legality, and quality programs throughout the whole site at all times
– Generate profitable, productive, safe, ethical and fair working environment for all employees
– Ensure total customer satisfaction
– Enhance company growth and success
– Work with suppliers in partnership
– Work with all other departments collaboratively to deliver products to all our customers to their required standards
Personal Attribute & Skills:
– HNC/HND/Degree in a relevant engineering discipline
– Min 5 years’ as lead role on site or equivalent role
– Experience gained in a Food or FMCG manufacturing environment
– Data driven and a strong knowledge and experience of Maintenance Management Systems
– Significant project management experience
– Strong man-management/leadership skills
– Great analytical and math skills
– Strong problem-solving abilities
– Ability to collaborate with many other teams
– Interpersonal skills to manage the team
– Ability to give constructive criticism, make decisions quickly
– A positive attitude to all work tasks
– A helpful and open attitude to all aspects of the role
– A polite manner when dealing with customers or visitors
– Health and Safety Qualification, NEBOSH certificate (preferred)
– Sound administrative and well-developed management skills—principles and people
– Proven ability to recruit, train, develop and motivate personnel, in order to maximize effectiveness
- Casual dress
- Company pension
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee discount
- Free parking
- On-site parking
- Referral programme
- Monday to Friday
- In person
- United Kingdom (required)